World-Class Russian Language Expert: Lead Translator, Editor, Reviser, Lexicographer, Team Lead, Trainer (1994 – present)
U.S. – Russia Cooperative Threat Reduction Program (1994 – 2008): Language Lead, including Russian-English and English-Russian translation, editing, consulting, terminology and glossary development, linguist recruitment and training, linguist supervision and editing and QA program development and standards implementation as well as program support for the U.S. Cooperative Threat Reduction Program, the primary intergovernmental program for implementation of ICBM, SLBM missile and launcher dismantlement and disposition, decontamination and decommissioning and related activities under the SALT I and II treaties.
International Nuclear Safety Program for multiple U.S. national laboratories (1995 – 2004) Extensive translation on full range of projects under the International Nuclear Safety Program, including Spent Nuclear Fuel Dry Storage, Training and Simulator Development, Emergency Operating Instructions, Shelter Facility, Reactor Core Conversion, Fire Protection, Decontamination and Decommissioning, Accident Remediation, and Nuclear Material Protection, Control and Accounting (MPC&A).
U.S. Defense Threat Reduction Agency programs and activities (1995 – 2008) : Translation support relating to law enforcement, WMD (nuclear, biological and chemical), jurisprudence, customs and illicit trafficking, ISTC, containers, fuel cells, HEU, IPP, nonproliferation, railcars, remote monitoring, spent fuel storage, transparency, warhead safety and security exchange, accident remediation, decontamination and decommissioning (D&D), emergency operating instructions (EOI), fire hazard safety and protection, hardware and software upgrades, nondestructive examination and inspection methods, nuclear material protection, control and accounting (MPC&A), reactor core conversion, regulatory and legislative development (GAN regulations), shelter facility upgrades, spent fuel storage, and training simulator development, Chernobyl Shelter, nuclear nonproliferation, and physical security.
National Media Spokesman/Press Secretary, American Translators Association (2000 – 2012)
- National Media Spokesman/Press Secretary to six American Translator Association (ATA) Presidents over 12-year period
- Original conceptual architect, advocate, developer, supervisor and executor of comprehensive ATA media and PR strategy
- On-air interviews, live remotes, in-studio recorded interviews, consultation and editorial support for TV network on-air reporters, commentators, network anchors, executive producers and production support staff for premier national and international network media
- CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, FoxNews
- National Public Radio, BBC, PRI, Voice of America
- Associated Press (AP) and Reuters
- Extensive interviews, quotes, photos, consultation and editorial story support to top-tier national press
- New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Atlanta Constitution, Philadelphia Inquirer, Boston Globe, USA Today, Inc. Magazine
- TV, print, online and radio interviews, editorial and story support for local media in all ATA conference cities
- Atlanta, Phoenix, Toronto, Seattle, New Orleans, San Francisco, Orlando, New York, Denver and Boston.
Chair/Co-Chair, ATA Public Relations Committee (2000-2009)
- Media strategy and message development to promote professional translation
- PR and media program implementation, tracking and reporting
- Extensive collaboration involving weekly international conference calls, quarterly and annual meetings in 10 cities across North America
- Reporting, consultation, meetings and advisory conference calls with 6 ATA Boards spanning 12-year period
- Trainer and participant in 4 national media training courses conducted by Washington, D.C.-based media experts
- Oversight of all ATA PR Committee activities, including:
- Translation: Getting it Right
- Client education
- School outreach
- Red Cross initiative
- Collaboration with NAJIT, NCIHC, ATA chapters and affiliated groups
- Pro bono support programs in New Orleans, San Francisco and Orlando
- PR poster development
- Annual review presentations at ATA national conferences
Chief Operating Officer and Principal, ASET International Services Corp. (1997 – 2008)
- Successfully built, developed and expanded premier quality-first translation company from corporate division with $250K annual revenue to leading independent national language services provider with annual sales exceeding $25 million in conjunction with business partners before final sale of company to Fortune 500 company in mid-2008.
- Designed, developed and executed national marketing and sales program yielding 20% year-over-year revenue growth with premier Fortune 50 clients. Secured exclusive rights to Google translation keywords for over seven successive years.
- Architected, developed and secured regulatory approval for the first-ever Translation Quality Assurance Program in U.S. nuclear industry.
- Developed and implemented extensive training programs for ASET translation and project management, localization standards and QA process controls.
- Developed and conducted specialized training workshops for technical writers, content developers, localization engineers, and translators in the localization environment.
Chief Operating Officer and Principal, Language Information Systems, Inc. (December 1985 – October 1992)
Founder and principal in premier technical translation and consulting firm providing services to the American Institute of Physics, the Library of Congress, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Congressional Research Service, the Smithsonian Institution and multiple agencies in the U.S. intelligence community.
- Distinguished technical translator with extensive translation publication record for the American Institute of Physics including:
- The flagship Academy of Sciences physics journal Soviet Physics JETP — Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
- Soviet Physics — Technical Physics
- Soviet Technical Physics Letters
- Translator of cover-to-cover issues of Soviet physics journal Superconductivity.
- Translator of Soviet physics journal Optics and Spectroscopy for the American Optical Society
- Translator of cover-to-cover issues of Soviet electrical and electronic engineering journals (Radiotekhnika i Elektronika; Elektrosvyaz, Tekhnicheskaya Kibernetika and Avtomatika) for Scripta-Technica.
US-Russia Presidential Hotline: Head Linguist, Technical Translation Staff (October 1981 – December 1985)
Senior Technical Linguist responsible for technical translation of technical data and information in support of the Washington-Moscow Hotline, establishment of workplace procedures, quality control, correct terminology and practice, compilation of technical terminology glossaries, oversight and subscriber support.
Technical subject matter expert and consultant on US-USSR Working Groups on DCL and DCL upgrade